Raw Prawns Imports bannedBack
On the 6th of January 2017 the Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources, Mr Barnaby Joyce, announced a ban on the importation of both raw unmarinated and raw marinated prawns from all major prawn producing countries due to the detection of White Spot Syndrome Virus un QLD prawn farms and the Logan River.
The ban is in effect for at least 6 months, but the ramifications will last longer than 6 months.
- All prawn importers are affected by the ban.
- Most of all incoming containers are either re-exported or destroyed.
- Current supplies in the market are low, which means supply of raw prawns will only last a few months.
- Market demand significantly exceeds supply.
- Price of local prawns will be very high in the months to come.